Elm Or Beech Tree Identification

Looking at Elm and Beech (UK and American Beech) tree leaf images online, it's clear to see that they are fairly difficult to tell apart. Either that or Google Images is throwing up the wrong pictures for the search terms I'm using.. So I'll post the pictures here and see if any experts come along and give me the correct answer.


I may ask on one of the Reddit sub reddits / categories as they are excellent resources for things like this. I took some pictures of a bird a few months back and didn't have a clue as to what species it was. I thought it was a Falcon of some kind. Turns out it was a Northern Goshawk.



Never used it to identify a tree before but I bet they have some very knowledgeable people in the tree sections. I'm sure they have tree / leaf I.D sub reddits (although I haven't checked yet) as they have one for everything else. I'll post this here first though. Does anyone know.. Elm, Beech, or something else? Click the images to enlarge and post a comment below.

4 comments:

Marek D. said...

They are Elm tree leaves.

Anonymous said...

I don't know the answer but I have the same problem lol. I found this website which can help you identify the difference by bark, flowers and other parts besides the leaf.

Elm: https://projects.ncsu.edu/cals/plantbiology/ncsc/tnc/ulmus.htm
American beech: https://projects.ncsu.edu/cals/plantbiology/ncsc/tnc/fagus.htm


It doesn't help me because I'm trying to identify seedlings that grew in a planter on my porch. I'll have to find the tree they came from before it's useful. But it looks like you have the whole tree there so you might benefit

Wellover said...

This or these are elm trees. Beyond that, I would look for a state forestry identification booklet. Elm leaves are doubly serrate. The edge teeth have their own teeth. Beech leaves are not doubly serrate.

Anonymous said...


i'd say it's elm based on the way leaf edge is serrated. it seems that your leaf is doubly serrated, which is consistent with elm, and it's not how beech tree leaves are toothed. I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but from looking at pics online, that seems to be easiest way to tell them apart.

Trending

All Content / Images Copyright © Never Forget Nature
No image can be used without permission