The Devil's Coach Horse Insect

I love most insects (and nature in general), especially anything Beetle-like. The Devil's Coach Horse (strange name) is quite similar to a Beetle, and is actually part of the Rove Beetle species (Ocypus olens). Although, it also shares a trait of the Scorpion in the way that it raises its tail when it feels threatened, as if it's going to attack / sting the enemy. I believe the tail contains a gas-like smelly acid substance that they squirt at their enemy.

The jaws that the Devil's Coach Horse possesses certainly look capable of delivering a nasty little bite to another insect. The jaw is big, intimidating, and could easily kill a lot of insects of the same size or bigger. I bet it would hurt getting bitten by those jaws. I wouldn't like to find out!



I'm no expert on this insect, and I don't know for sure if this is actually a Devil's Coach Horse as there are quite a few insects that look very similar. A few minutes later.. Just researched it and it is definitely a Devils Coach horse. Anyway, spotted this one just relaxing on a blade of grass. In auto mode my camera couldn't manage to focus properly, and I must have taken around 10 - 12 blurred images. It's usually really good at close up / macro shots when in auto mode, but this time it was being a pain in the aine.

Annoyed and about to give up, I changed the camera to manual settings and actually chose "Close-up". I managed to get just one decent shot (pictured above) before the Coach Horse decided to slowly wander into the many layers of long, trampled down grass and disappear! I guess it was meant to be. They are not uncommon however, and can be found in many locations throughout the UK.

No comments:

Trending

All Content / Images Copyright © Never Forget Nature
No image can be used without permission